Chinese beer imports plunge amid Tsingtao scandal
简介South Korea’s beer imports from China decreased by over 40 percent last month after a hygiene incide ...
South Korea’s beer imports from China decreased by over 40 percent last month after a hygiene incident at a Tsingtao brewery was revealed. Imports of Japanese beer products, on the other hand, increased by over 300 percent.
According to data from the Korea Customs Service on Thursday, Korea’s imports of Chinese beer reached 228.1 tons in October, down 42.6 percent on-year. The import value of Chinese beer products shipped to Korea during the same period came to $1.9 million, also down 37.7 percent.
“The drop seems to be mainly due to the video clip that showed a Tsingtao worker urinating into a tank,” an official from a local alcoholic beverage company said. “I would not be surprised if imports of Chinese beer dropped further in the future,” the official added.
In October, a video was posted on Chinese social media platforms that showed a man wearing a blue uniform climbing over the side of a high-walled tank and urinating within the tank, which was believed to contain raw ingredients for brewing beer at Tsingtao Brewery No. 3 in Qingdao, Shandong.
The video immediately went viral and Tsingtao beer faced a backlash from Korean consumers for unsanitary practices.
BK, the Korean company that imports Tsingtao beer to South Korea, then tried to allay fears among Korean consumers, by saying that the Tsingtao beer products imported to Korea were not produced at Tsingtao Brewery No. 3.
However, consumers’ fears regarding the overall hygiene conditions at Tsingtao’s plants caused them to stop consuming them.
“I stopped buying Tsingtao beer at convenience stores and ordering them at restaurants after acknowledging the issue,” said Lee, a 36-year-old man living in Gyeonggi Province. “In any case, I am no longer bothered since there are many other beer products,” he added.
As sales of Tsingtao beer continue to drop here, BK is currently offering voluntary retirement programs to all its employees.
While imports of Chinese beer have fallen significantly, imports of Japanese beer have soared.
According to the Korea Customs Service, imports of Japanese beer in October reached 7,243 tons, up 303 percent on-year. The value of the imports came to $6.1 million, increasing 377.4 percent on-year.
Backed by increased imports of Japanese beer, South Korea’s total imports of international beer products came to 18,753 tons, up 9.4 percent on-year. Their combined value too rose 23.6 percent to $17.3 million.
Volvo on Tuesday launched its latest all-electric sport utility vehicle, EX30, in South Korea, empha ...
북한이 지난 6월 31일 북한 평안북도 철산군 동창리 새발사장에서 쏜 첫 군사정찰위성 '만리경 1호'를 실은 위성운반로켓 '천리마 1형'의 발사 장면을 1일 조선중앙통신이 공개했다 ...
CJ Olive Young Corp., the distribution unit of South Korean food-to-cosmetics conglomerate CJ Group, ...
- Violinist Yoo Da
- Subway car seats to be removed in two subway cars for more space: Seoul Metro
- On verge of closing, rural school tries to lure students with financial benefits
- Posco secures W6tr supply deal from Lotte Energy Materials
- Hotel chief fined for safety violation in Itaewon tragedy trial
- Women’s stories continue to resonate with Korean viewers
Volvo EX30 debuts in Korea
SK chief calls on board members to help CEOs make balanced decisions
ArtToken, KAIST sign MOU to cooperate in art, technology fields
Epitaph plaque for wife of first Korean diplomatic minister in US returns to Korea
Korea to showcase advanced climate technologies at COP28 Dubai
[Herald Review] ‘Zzz’ lulls audience to sleep through onstage performance
- McDonald's Korea to increase prices of 13 items next week
- Seoul International Pride Film Festival kicks off on Nov. 2
- 北, 러시아 외무장관 방북 발표…이달 18~19일 방문
- 윤 대통령, 4박 6일 사우디·카타르 순방 마치고 귀국
- [KH Explains] A look back on Lee Jae
- LG Electronics to bolster local strategies, B2B push to widen gap with Chinese rivals
- NiziU wins best pop video at MTV VMAJs
- Sumi Jo awarded Geumgwan Order, highest honor for artists
- Italian architect Franco Mancuso donates archives on Korean Pavilion at Venice Biennale
- [Life In Korea] Delivering 'taste of life' via street art
- "가리비 8m 천장까지 쌓였다"…단 한달만에 日 타격 입힌 中
- Surveillance cameras to be a must in hospital operating rooms
- [Book Review] 'Lee Kun
- Allies vow stern measures against Russia
- [Test Drive] Toyota’s minivan Alphard boasts sedanlike drive
- S. Korean firms urge US to clarify 'foreign entity of concern'
- Mirae Asset continues to lead domestic equity ETF market
- Xi says he will consider S. Korea visit
- Golden apples: Why fruit prices are national issue in early autumn
- Opposition head pleads for support in ‘fight against Yoon dictatorship’
- PM to meet with Xi on sidelines of Asian Games in Hangzhou
- [Herald Interview] Jung Soo
- Dodgers prospect trying to fit in with S. Korean nat'l baseball team
- Korea’s parental leave benefits lag behind OECD average
- Yoon pushes for Xi’s visit to firm up ties with China
- Ministry uncovers 1,802 Youth Protection Act violations
- [Herald Interview] ‘Another Body,’ a riveting documentary on devasting effects of deepfake porn
- PM arrives in China for Asian Games, meeting with Xi
- Gangwon Forestry Exhibition 2023 kicks off in Korea's 'forest capital'
- PM departs for China for Asian Games, meeting with Xi